In late 2012 I started a journey to using non-toxic products in our home i hopes to help clear up some of my hypothyroid symptoms. Household cleaners were a big hold-out for me. One thing to know about me is that I’m a clean freak. I want the house to be clean and clutter free at all times. Our home used to be filled with the typical products you find in many American homes. Bleach, air fresheners, scented detergents, scrubs, etc. Over the years I became so accustomed to the strong odors, I felt like that was how I knew the house was clean. But, over the years I also started to notice that every time I cleaned the house I would get a headache, especially when using cleaners with bleach. This happened regardless of how well-ventilated the room was or how diluted the bleach was.
The first thing I cleaned up was personal care since they come into contact with the skin. Then I cut out gluten and dairy. Next, I started the journey to less toxic cleaning products. While at a shopping trip to TJ Maxx, I noticed Whatever Unscented cleaner which is made with plant-based ingredients. At that point I hadn’t done much research on cleaners, so I took a chance and purchased this product. My husband and I both weren’t sure what to expect so we conducted a test. Unfortunately I don’t have before and after pictures because at that point I had no idea that I would end up starting this blog (and now we don’t have tile!). Because it had been raining a lot around that time and we have dogs, our floors were pretty dirty in the house we were renting. So we sprayed Whatever Unscented on one tile & the grout around it. We sprayed Tilex on another tile a few tiles away that was just as dirty. After they both soaked for the same amount of time (no scrubbing on either tile), we were amazed at the results. The tile and the grout around the tile with the Whatever on it was noticeably cleaner than the tile with Tilex. Neither of us expected that. Like so many others, we assumed that there was no way that a nontoxic, plant based product could out perform a synthetic chemical.
When my husband left to go serve in Korea, I stayed behind because I had just been promoted (& we didn’t want to live there for two years). Since we lived so far away from where I worked, we decided to move me to an apartment closer to work. The toxic cleaning products got left behind at the rental home and we purchased mostly Better Life Products to clean our new place with. We’ve never looked back! No more toxic cleaners, no matter where we live.
We recently hired someone to help us clean our house since I was commuting and my husband was really busy at work too. One day she used a traditional cleaner in our bathroom by mistake. She finished cleaning at 1pm, and when I got home at 6pm I could still smell the cleaner she used. That’s how sensitive I am to those odors. It’s crazy to think that when you’re around them all the time you don’t really notice the smell. But, when you cut them out and then you’re around them again, you absolutely notice a difference. We purchase our cleaners either online or in a health food store, because I can’t breathe when I walk down the aisle in a regular store because of the odor of all those synthetic fragrances.
If you’re wanting to make the switch but not sure where to start, I would definitely recommend trying Better Life products! This is an all purpose cleaner, so start here: http://amzn.to/1TLenTU.
Hope you find this helpful. Thanks for reading!